In 1936, Liberté began manufacturing cream and cottage cheeses near downtown Montréal on the corner of Saint-Urbain and Duluth streets, which today is home to Café Santropol.
As the company grew, production maintained a traditional and artisanal character. After relocating to Brossard in 1964, Liberté continued to manufacture cream cheese and began producing yogurt. With the success of this new endeavour, the company then developed an increasing number of products, all the while upholding its standards of quality and purity. In 2008, Liberté acquired a plant in Saint-Hyacinthe to support its expansion